Counting My Blessings


This morning, I woke up feeling very sad and lonely, as the first and only words uttered to me as I opened my eyes were "we need sugar." I've had a problem for a long time now. I wake up with negative thoughts running through my head. Everything that anybody ever said/did to me, everything I ever said/did to anybody, my self-hate talk, it all plays like a movie on repeat over and over and over again when I first wake up. I have recently become very aware of this, and I'm doing things to help, such as replacing every negative thought with remembering three things that I'm grateful for, giving myself a Reiki treatment when the 'movie' gets scary, and using positive affirmations.

This morning was extra bad, for some reason. Maybe it has more than a little to do with the state of my hormones. I sat and cried for two hours about how sad my life was. When I was done, I felt I needed to release everything that I cried about, to let go of everything that brings my vibration down. I took a deep breath and on the exhale, I blew out all my troubles. I announced my intent to release,  filled myself up with white light energy, and proceeded to count my blessings.

"Count your blessings" is not a term that I'm actually very fond of. It seems to indicate that blessings are quantifiable and comparable, which they are definitely NOT. I used the term for this post because of the familiarity of the phrase (and because the OCD in me LOVES to count). I decided to share my list with you with hopes of motivating more people to do the same.
  1. I have two precious children who love me immensely.
  2. Karen has helped me tremendously with the kids.
  3. My kids have tender, empathetic souls.
  4. I have a warm, safe place to sleep at night.
  5. I have plenty of food in the pantry.
  6. I have a reliable car.
  7. I have good hair, really good hair.
  8. I have pretty blue eyes.
  9. My waist is small, and my hips are big.
  10. I have a computer.
  11. I know how to speak and write to communicate.
  12. I am a bit psychic.
  13. I can do Reiki.
  14. I can read peoples' energy really well, especially people who are close to me.
  15. I love myself.
  16. I do not define myself based on my husband.
  17. I do not define myself based on the opinions of others.
  18. I have knowledge of scientific things.
  19. I have a lovely, sweet, pretty, soft dog who likes to cuddle.
  20. I have extra food in the pantry to give to the neighbor kid who is always hungry when he comes over.
  21. I have an amazing capacity for love.
Making a list of things that I am blessed with and grateful for really lifted my spirits. It put things into perspective for me. Although my life is not where I want it to be right now, I know that I am heading in the right direction, because I'm clearly blessed.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tree Meditation

What is Reiki?

Seven of Water